As an entrepreneur, it is important to stay curious. Curiosity is a desire to learn that comes from within yourself, but it is also something that can be rubbed off on others. The curiosity you cultivate will naturally trickle down through your team, the people around you, and your customers. Shantel has encouraged her company, Imagine Media, to stay curious with weekly Innovation Think-Tank lunches. What’s an Innovation Think-Tank lunch you ask? The employee of the week selects a TED Talk to watch during their Sifted lunch on Mondays. This helps integrate their INNOVATIVE core value into the company culture. Below we’ve listed 5 of our favorite TED Talks that every entrepreneur should watch.
- WHY IT’S TIME TO FORGET THE PECKING ORDER AT WORK - "Organizations are often run according to "the superchicken model," where the value is placed on star employees who outperform others. And yet, this isn't what drives the most high-achieving teams. Business leader Margaret Heffernan observes that it is social cohesion — built every coffee break, every time one team member asks another for help — that leads over time to great results. It's a radical rethink of what drives us to do our best work, and what it means to be a leader. Because as Heffernan points out: "Companies don't have ideas. Only people do."
- WHY GOOD LEADERS MAKE YOU FEEL SAFE - "What makes a great leader? Management theorist Simon Sinek suggests, it’s someone who makes their employees feel secure, who draws staffers into a circle of trust. But creating trust and safety — especially in an uneven economy — means taking on big responsibility."
- WHY THE BEST HIRE MIGHT NOT HAVE THE PERFECT RESUME - "Given the choice between a job candidate with a perfect resume and one who has fought through difficulty, human resources executive Regina Hartley always gives the "Scrapper" a chance. As someone who grew up with adversity, Hartley knows that those who flourish in the darkest of spaces are empowered with the grit to persist in an ever-changing workplace. "Choose the underestimated contender, whose secret weapons are passion and purpose," she says. "Hire the Scrapper."
- HOW GREAT LEADERS INSPIRE ACTION - "Simon Sinek has a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership -- starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?" His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers ..."
- THE CAREER ADVICE YOU PROBABLY DIDN’T GET - "You’re doing everything right at work, taking all the right advice, but you’re just not moving up. Why? Susan Colantuono shares a simple, surprising piece of advice you might not have heard before quite so plainly. This talk, while aimed at an audience of women, has universal takeaways -- for men and women, new grads and midcareer workers."